Coaches are popping up all over the place – they can help with anything from life, business, athletics, music, education, personal development and now even health. One of the most asked questions I get about my business is, “what is a health coach?” Let’s dig deeper into that question.
A Health Coach is an authority on wellness and helps customize individual health plans in order to improve the clients nutritional choices and overall well-being. They serve as a supportive mentor which motivates the individual in order to help cultivate positive health choices in body, mind and spirit. It’s not a one size fits all approach, a health coach custom fits a program designed to help the client reach their lifestyle goals.
So why do we need a coach for this?
- As of 2013, The American Heart Association states that 154.7 million people age 20+ are considered overweight and/or obese in the United States
- As of 2013, The American Heart Association states that 23.9 million children ages 2-19 are considered overweight and/or obese in the United States
- We are getting sicker, and spending billions of dollars to harm ourselves further
- Stress is the basic cause of 60% of all human illness and disease
- Stress increases your risk of heart attack, heart disease and stroke by up to 50%
So we have to ask the question – What is making us sick?
- An abundance of stress in all areas of our lives
- Life on the go – too busy to slow down and care for ourselves
- Turning to prepackaged, processed foods for convenience
- Environmental toxins bombarding us daily and building up in our bodies
- Lack of exercise
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
As a Certified Holistic Health Coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition and Catalyst Coaching Institute, I am trained in over 100 dietary theories and work with each client’s bio-individuality to find what works best for their unique body. I am certified and professionally trained to assist you in making the best choices for your health and happiness.
Accountability is key to a client’s success. Many times in life we find ourselves stuck and unable to get out of our rut whether it be in health, personal relationships, business, finances, etc. I help my clients peel away the layers and get to the core of what is holding them back from being the best version of themselves in all areas of their lives. Having someone who has “been there, done that” to assist you on your journey creates a partnership for success.
“Sheri is an extremely skilled health coach. Her expertise goes well beyond the regular realms of nutrition and fitness. Sheri is very well educated in these areas. Her greatest gift to me was her practice of deep listening, of going beneath the surface to the core of what was holding me back from being the best ‘me’.” ~ Linda
What’s the difference between a Health Coach and a Registered Dietitian?
This is a great question. A Registered Dietitian has a more scientific approach to nutrition. They are trained to administer nutrition in medical settings and analyze dietary intake. They are great at customizing a nutritional eating plan, along with a person’s Medical Doctor, for specific health related concerns such as heart healthy diets, diabetes, etc.
As a Health Coach we look deeper than the diet a person is eating and look holistically at the individual and how all areas of their life, body, mind and spirit are affecting their health. It’s not so much advising someone what to eat as it is helping them incorporate all healthy choices into their lives – diet being one of them. Many clients have come to me frustrated because they feel like they have tried it all and they keep returning to their old patterns. We begin looking at the psychological aspects of the choices they are making and help create breakthroughs on what is holding one back from achieving lifelong success.
One would have to decide for his/her self, or have a consultation to determine, which is the best road to take.
We would meet once a week or once every two weeks for a specified period of time. It can be anywhere from 3 months to 6 months or beyond. My office is located in the Zen Zone at Raintree Athletic Club and provides a safe, comfortable and quiet place to create the health of your dreams. This can be done individually or as a group. You can expect such things as:
- How to lose that extra weight for good
- Learn about clean eating
- Reduce stress
- Eliminate sugar
- Increase energy naturally
- Beat those cravings
- Create long term goals for optimal health
- Get suggested meal plans and shopping guides
- Grocery store tours
- Fall in love with your body
- And more!
Here’s what Tori had to say about my 90 Day Program, “By working with Sheri I have been able to reduce my stress at work and home which has made me a better mother and colleague. I have been able to take the stress reduction techniques I learned with Sheri to teach my son how to better handle his stress. She has helped me improve my eating habits at home. When I started with her we were eating at home about 30% of the time, by the time we were done we were eating at home about 95% of the time.”
Other programs include:
- Reboot your Body – Seasonal Cleanses
- Rock Your Weight – 14 Day Weight Loss Program
- Revitalize Your Life in 28 Days
- Reclaim your Health – 90 Day Transformation
Heath coaching is a wonderful addition to personal training and your overall fitness program. Together we take you to the next level in your health and wellness!
This covers the basics of what I do as a health coach is. If you want to dig deeper on what this would look like for you, I would love to offer you a FREE Discovery Session to discuss how I can help you create the health of your dreams!